Balloon Sinuplasty (BSP)
Living with chronic sinus infections can be frustrating, especially if nasal sprays, antibiotics and countless other treatments haven’t delivered the lasting relief you need.
At Heartland Regional Medical Center, we may have just the solution for you. We specialize in balloon sinuplasty (BSP)—a safe, proven, minimally invasive option to treat sinusitis symptoms. We can often perform this simple procedure right in the office, so you can get back faster to a life without pain.
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the sinus linin, often caused by allergies or the common cold. If the sinus opening becomes blocked due to this swelling, normal mucus drainage may not occur, which in turn can lead to frequent sinus infections and related problems.
Common symptoms include:
- Facial pain or pressure
- Tenderness and swelling around the eyes, cheeks, nose and forehead
- Cough or congestion
- Difficulty breathing through the nose
- Dental pain
- Loss of smell or taste
Relief Starts Here
At Heartland Regional Medical Center we will assess your symptoms and help you find the right treatment. If you’ve been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and haven’t responded well to medication, you may be a candidate for balloon sinuplasty.
With this simple procedure, a small, flexible balloon catheter is inserted into the inflamed sinus. The balloon is inflated to gently widen the blocked sinus passageway and restore normal drainage. The catheter is then removed, leaving the sinuses open.
Balloon sinuplasty offers a variety of benefits compared to traditional treatments:
- Proven effective: Clinical studies have shown the procedure to be highly successful in relieving sinus symptoms and improving quality of life.
- Minimally invasive: Unlike conventional sinus surgery, BSP requires no cutting or removal of bone or tissue from the nose. That means significantly less pain and no scarring.
- Convenient: For certain patients, we can perform the procedure in the comfort of our office with local anesthesia, sparing you a trip to the operating room or the need for complete sedation.
- Safe: BSP is FDA-approved, with thousands of procedures performed and very low complication rates. It can also be an effective option for children with chronic sinusitis.
- Fast recovery: While healing time is a little different for everyone, most patients can often return to work and normal activities within a couple of days.
- Long-term relief: Research confirms BSP provides continued improvement in symptoms, and the procedure rarely needs to be repeated.
Related Services and Conditions
Sinus problems? Snoring? Don’t suffer in silence. Many of us experience sinus and allergy conditions that over the counter medications just can’t handle. That’s when you need the help of an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. Years of dealing with chronic conditions can...
A deviated septum is an extremely common condition, in which the thin wall that divides the nostrils is far off center. Most people don’t experience symptoms or require any treatment. But for some, it can make it difficult to breathe and cause a host of other...
Almost every child by the age of five has at least one ear infection, which usually resolves on its own or with antibiotics. But, if your little one suffers with frequent, painful ear problems, you may consider another solution for long-term relief. At [sc...
At Heartland Regional Medical Center, we specialize in minimally invasive nasal valve repair, using a small implant designed to support the cartilage in the nose, helping the nasal airway stay open for breathing. The implant is placed inside the wall of the nose to...